PARACOMBE VINEYARD AND Winery is the star of this year’s Adelaide Hills Wine Show, winning the wine show committee award of recognitionto cap off an exciting 30th birthday year.
The committee award recognises not just wine show success but also service to the region, community spirit, drive and dedication.
Paul and Kathy Drogemuller first established their Paracombe vineyards with no viticultural or winemaking experience after buying a dairyfarming property which had been destroyed in the 1983 Ash Wednesday bushfires.
Earlier this year Paracombe’s 2010 The Reuben Cabernet blend was named The Advertiser’s Top 100 Wine of the Year.
On Friday the couple collected the committee award along with best Riesling in show at the awards lunch at Mount Lofty House.
Winemaker Paul Drogemuller paid tribute to the region upon receiving the trophy.
“I carry this for each and every one of us in this room as a proud Adelaide Hills wine grape grower,” he said.
“It is 30 years since we started, but may there be many more years and many more success stories; I feel so proud to be an Adelaide Hills resident and wine has just been an interesting and good fun part of the journey.”
Best wine in show went to Lobethal Road – another family owned business – for their 2012 Bacchant Chardonnay, with best Shiraz going to small Hahndorf producer Stable Hill.
Dan Buckle from Domaine Chandon was chairman of this year’s judging panel.
“I’m hugely impressed with the overall quality here in the Adelaide Hills – it’s clearly a very professional group of winemakers,” Buckle said.
“The Chardonnay in particular was a real pleasure to judge and the Shiraz also showed really nice diversity.
“I would also say there’s some very interesting new varieties like Fiano, Nebbiolo and Tempranillo.”
The full list of winners include:
- Best sparkling wine of the show – NV C A Henschke Johanna Ida Selma Blanc de Noir
- Best Riesling of the show – 2013 Paracombe Holland Creek Riesling
- Best Sauvignon Blanc of the show – 2013 Sidewood Sauvignon Blanc
- Best Chardonnay of the show – 2012 Lobethal Road Bacchant Chardonnay
- Best Pinot Gris/Grigio of the show – 2013 Bleasdale Adelaide Hills Pinot Gris
- Best white wine in classes other than classes 2, 3, 4 and 5 – 2013 Hand Crafted by Geoff Hardy Fiano
- Best Pinot Noir of the show – 2012 Riposte ‘The Sabre’ Pinot Noir
- Best Cabernet family or blend of the show – 2012 Wicks Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
- Best Shiraz of the show – 2012 Stable Hill Shiraz
- Best red wine in classes other than classes 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12 – 2012 Nepenthe Altitude Tempranillo
- Best wine in museum classes – 2000 Petaluma Croser Late Disgorged
- Best wine of the show – 2012 Lobethal Road Bacchant Chardonnay
Phone: 61 0407 320 903